Tuesday 21 April 2015

Walkies, let's go walkies!!

Yesterday afternoon I decided to go for a wander around the Taitua Arboretum which is about a 10 minute drive from my place.  With Autumn being in residence in this part of the world I thought the trees would be looking all colourful.

The couple mentioned above planted this and now our City Council manages it.  This I do not mind our rates contributing to as it is so beautiful.

Once I had parked my car the Welcome Committee arrived.

The car park was pretty much empty.

Mother Hens and their cute as chickens were scratching about in the sunshine.

Then I spied some of the lads!

Cocky colourful Roosters all lined up
as if they were in a bar having a blokes meeting or some sort.

 
 I would love to have a Rooster
but it is a no go in town.

 A rustic hut built in the design of a small Maori meeting house
is perched on the edge of the track to rest in
or just take in the sights and sounds.

If you can spot the Redwood Circle, then you will see how far I wandered.  Only because as I was walking alone I wondered if it really was a sensible thing to be doing on my own.

 Looking all gorgeous and lush.

 Probably most grateful for all that rain the other day.

As I wandered along the gravel path some of the locals appeared
to check out what I was up to.

 Numerous Natives to wander amongst and under.

A Red Hibiscus looking flower stood out like
you know what on a male dog.

The Redwood Circle is beautiful,
and such a lovely spot to just sit and take in the surrounding bush.  

 I love the photo on the right looking up to the sky
through the tall Redwood Trees.

 Dead leaves and colourful Fungi added to the Autumnal feel.


Obligatory selfie to prove I was in fact there.


 Dr Seuss style bark on the left
and curly lichen.


A couple of Fantails followed me dancing and twittering in the trees.  They were kind enough to come close and stay still long enough for me to take their photo.

In fact the sounds of the birds chattering, the Roosters having an almighty crow off, and cows mooing was quite lovely.  To think all of this is so close to the City.


Leaves are changing colour, plants are going to seed and bark is stripping. I think I will go back in a month to see the burst of colour that happens before Winter. I shall take TOF along for protection/company.


Back out into the sunshine and nearly at the car park.



So back at the beginning and ready to leave.


 But not before saying good bye
to this gorgeous boy.


Homeward bound.


That is the edge of the city on the horizon.

TODAY:

Back to light weight layers
and
I cut me a fringe!!

Don't look too close tho'
it is slightly scrappy. 

This will be me.



11 comments:

Beth Waltz said...

Let me be the first! to congratulate you on the success of the fringe, Sue. It's a good cut with up-do's and long locks, too.

Thanks very much for sharing the enchantment of your surreally beautiful city park. Alas, here in Indy our 'park wildlife' is neither safe nor attractive.

Pity you can't add a rooster to the home flock at the same time you've added two new girls. But no doubt ol' Tex would object to a crow out.

Vix said...

That's a great fringe! A woman of many talents, you are.
Your photography is wonderful. Love those cheeky chickens roaming free and all the flora and fauna , it looks so exotic to me. xxxx

Curtise said...

What a beautiful place, and such fabulous photos, Sue. Sunlight through tress is glorious. And you look gorgeous too! xxx

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

No you do not want a rooster cos they make little chicks which in turn end up being more roosters and you know that not just any cock will doodle do!!Haha. I'll come with you next time, plus I need to try out my new zoom lens somewhere, Ham gardens maybe??

Poppy Q said...

Looks like a great walk on a nice day. Sounds like a good plan to take TOF next time, don't want any tron crazies following you in the park.

Love your photos Sue - the fantails are very sweet.

Goody said...

Cool fringe! Looks even from here.

The roosters on the fence would make a great postcard.

Leeanne said...

What a stunning place! looks like there is a tramper inside you trying to burst out!

Angels have Red Hair said...

Love the fringe ... it suits you :0)
xx

Shawna McComber said...

That colourful dress is one of my favourites and the fringe is perfect on you! You did a great job cutting it. What a breathtakingly beautiful park that is. Thank you so much for sharing all your gorgeous photos. The lads are very impressive and they know it! xoxo

Raewyn said...

Your photos of the reserve are gorgeous. It looks like such an interesting and peaceful place... I remember Dad talking about the Mortimers as he also was tree mad. Your fringe looks great, now you can do that blowing upwards thing and make it jump!

Melanie said...

A scrappy fringe is the best fringe! I laughed at your comment about the blokes hanging out. That's exactly what they look like.
This is beautiful getaway spot. It must be very tranquil and calming. I wish I could turn the noise off in the city.